There was a two-hour wait at D.C.'s 86th Precint's polling place this morning.
A crew of middle schoolers ran around the schoolyard where all the voters stood in line. They were screaming, "BARACK OBAMAAAAAaaaaa" over and over again. Every third car honked in approval of the long line wrapped about the yard like the curve on a running track. I arrived at 7:15 a.m. after a five-block walk from my house.
You know, I say walk, but it was a piligrimage. There's hardly ever a reason to walk east of my house, so I rarely do. Houses and alleyways half a mile from my house were complete mysteries to me; the neighbors I never really thought of as neighbors. My neighborhood's all parceled up into gentrified and non-gentrified units, and the polling place was in a unit that had not yet been gentrified.
So I was walking through, um, uncharted territory, on a holy-secular journey to help breathe life into the democractic ideal, and far earlier than the time I normally wake up--you can see how it's easy to get dramatic. So anyway, I voted.
While waiting in line I finished McCarthy's THE ROAD and started crying when I read the ending as I reached the front of the voting line. The book is set in the post-apocalyptic America where society and goodness have succumbed almost entirely to savagery and cannibalism, so while reading THE ROAD it's hard to feel anything but pure existential wonder at an arrangement like democracy and patient, efficient voting sites. That's where I'm coming from, people.
Going to Hawk n' Dove for election night fiasco tonight. I hope to be interviewed by numerous bottom-rung news outlets. But wait! This post isn't just about the American political process. I have a few other things to say.
1) WTF is wrong with Marc Jacobs sometimes? Does he have astigmatism every sixth garment that he designs? If a dress makes a 90-pound model look fat, then no one else has a prayer of looking good in it.

2) I love DVF's ethos so much. She is like your fanciest grandmother who smokes cigarettes out of skinny, long cigarette holders while advising you to date more men. That's what these shoes look like:

Also, check out http://www.herroom.com/ for bras, etc. It's awesome. Okay that's it! Have fun tonight.
Love,
Cameron
No comments:
Post a Comment